Sunday, May 20, 2007

I Met Jim Mills

Did I mention in my post about the Ricky Skaggs concert that I met Jim Mills in person? Oh, well I did.
I've been waiting a long time to meet Jim Mills in person. Without a doubt, I think I would have to say of all the professional banjo players, Jim has been, and continues to be my number one influence with regard to learning how to play the 5 string banjo, followed closely by Ron Block; I love both of their styles.

The plan to meet "Jimmy" started over a year ago when I found out Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder were coming to Moncton, New Brunswick. About two and a half months before the concert, I sent an e-mail message to Jim and told him of my desire to meet him in person. I also mentioned that I was expecting a new Huber Jim Mills banjo to arrive before the concert and asked him if he would play a tune on it.

That dream was fulfilled last night after the Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder concert ended. I was standing near Mr. Mills in the lobby and he offered his hand for a shake and howdy. I told him I was the person that e-mailed him and he asked if I had the banjo with me. I said "I sure do," and told him I'd be right back.
I made a beeline to the auditorium where the banjo was, being closely guarded by a group of Bluegrass Friends (Ed & Becky Betts, Reg Gallant, Tom Mason, Angela Curran, Ed and Eleanor Blackier, and my wife). I heard later that when Ed saw me coming toward them he said "Mike looks like he's on a mission." I guess Ed knows best, 'cause he was right.

I told them "Jim is waiting for the banjo" and out to the lobby we went. Jim suggested we find a place where we could talk and he could play the banjo so we headed down the hallway of the school looking for a room. We wound up sitting on a park-style bench in the hallway.
I opened up the banjo case and Jim inspected it for workmanship - it passed the grade. He opened up his own banjo case and said "let me get some picks on and we'll try this thing out." As Jim proceeded to play a few licks, the small group that was watching and listening were all grinning ear to ear as Jim played the banjo.

As I said, I had been looking forward to this moment for a long time, but it was made even more special by having a few friends around to witness the event.

I've heard many people speak so highly of Jim Mills in the past. Everyone I've ever spoken to has mentioned how personable and likeable Jim is. They've all said it's not a show, that's just the way he is. He certainly showed that side last night.

I asked if I could take some photos of him with my friends and he intantly said "yeah, I'd be happy to" in that southern accent of his. You can add me to the list of people saying "yes, Jim Mills is a truly genuine person and most likeable."

I had Jim sign my banjo head of fame which has the signatures of many fine banjo players including our very own Harvey Arbo. I also asked him to sign the head on the new banjo, which he did. It says "Keep Pickin' - Jim Mills."

It was a real thrill to meet Mr. Mills and have him play my Huber banjo. He said he thought it sounded better than his own did when it was "right out of the box" and that it was going to get even better as it was played. It sure did sound good with his hands playing it - now I know what it is capable of.

Thanks to Jim Mills and thanks to the friends who witnessed the event.
A series of pictures with Jim Mills can be viewed at http://bluegrassfriends.com/images/mills/index.html.

Labels: , ,