Saturday, March 17, 2007

Huber Banjo Update


Jim Mills and his Huber on the Grand Ole Opry stage.

I was speaking to Sam Calveard of Huber Banjos once again; this time just two days ago. Sam told me my new banjo was 13 days away from coming out of the 28-day finish factory cycle. After the finishing process is complete it will probably take a week to assemble and tweak the banjo, then it will be shipped to me.

I'm getting real excited to play (make noise with) this banjo. For those of you that don't know, it's a Huber - Jim Mills signature series model. I've ordered it stock so as to keep it as authentic as possible. What's special (to me) about this banjo is that it's an exact replica of Jim Mills' one-of-a-kind 1939 Gibson RB-75. It's detailed right down to the type of glue that was used in 1939 and Steve Huber even had special screws made to attach the resonator L-brackets just like the ones used in 1939.

It turns out there is something else that will be special about this banjo. It's one of the last Huber banjos to feature the double cut peghead shape - all new Huber banjos will have the Huber peghead shape. As I understand it, approximately 40 Jim Mills signature series banjos have been produced. I'm not sure if my banjo will be "the last one" or just "one of the last ones" to feature the double cut peghead, but in any event, it may very well make these banjos worth more money to collectors in the future, as the new models won't be an exact replica any longer.

The reason for the change is because of threats from Gibson Guitar Corporation to sue companies that use what Gibson is claiming as theirs; in this case it's the peghead shape. Huber's lawyers claim no infringements are being made by Huber Banjos, but Steve Huber says as a small company, his pockets simply aren't deep enough to warrant a fight, even if the law is on his side. Isn't the legal system great!? If you are interested, you can read A Personal Message From Steve Huber on the Huber Banjos web site where Steve explains his position on the matter.

I've already made arrangements to meet "Jimmy" (Jim Mills) and have him autograph the banjo for me at the Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder concert on May 19, 2007 at the Moncton High School.

Harvey Arbo, if you're reading this post, I want you to know you'll be the first one to play this banjo - even before me. Now, if I just pluck a string or two would that be considered playing? It's been a long wait - 9 months and 12 days so far, not that I'm keeping track or anything. It's going to be hard to resist not playing it, so you'd better be in the country! Once Harvey performs the official christening of the banjo, it's fair game!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger fungus said...

Hay Mike Im sure that the wait wll be worth it.As far as you plucking a couple of strings before Harver plays it,who will know ENJOY Fungus

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since there seems to be a new banjo coming to our house, I was thinking that I'm going to take the old one (well, not SO old) and learn to play. I should be up to speed in a couple weeks, I figure. I can accompany Reg in Echo Mountain (a.k.a. The Doggie Song), Murray in Shady Grove, and Tom & Angela in Midnight Angel. There IS a banjo in Midnight Angel, isn't there?

Anyway, put me down for an Artist Spotlight for the second Tuesday in next week. Until then, God Bless!! Hunny(a.k.a. Helen)

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 1:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home