Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I Need a Stanleytone

I need another banjo to play all those Ralph Stanley tunes; I mean in addition to the Deering Deluxe that I currently play and the Huber Jim Mills model which hasn't made it to my doorstep yet. By the way, I guess I'm looking at another three weeks minimum before the Huber arrives.

A nice Stanleytone just like the one Steve Sparkman (shown in photo at left with his Stanleytone) plays for Ralph is what I'm thinking of. I can't help myself, every time I hear Pretty Polly or some other Ralph Stanley tune I get banjo fever all over again. It's true, I'm addicted to banjo sounds. My name is Mike and I am a banjoholic in serious need of a 12-step program to help me learn how to play all those banjos! Before I'm done I'll have a great banjo collection of some of the highest quality banjos around. It's a shame that I'll probably never be able to play a single one of 'em, but it'll be a dandy collection nonetheless!

I like my Deering and I know I'm going to love the Huber, but a Ralph Stanley tune just doesn't sound right when played on a flathead banjo. You've got to have an archtop style banjo, which is exactly what a Stanleytone is. Oh sure, I know I can play close to the bridge to try to simulate the Stanleytone sound, but it just doesn't cut it. You've got to have the real thing. One of my biggest problems? I'm a sucker for quality and authenticity.

A well known banjo builder by the name of Frank Neat builds Stanleytone banjos and I just happen to have his telephone number nearby so I've got to run and make a phone call. Ed Betts, if you're reading this post, we may have to plan for a second road trip. I sure hope my wife isn't reading this!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HAVE GOLD STANLEYTONE THAT I BOUGHT DIRECTLY FROM RALPH WHILE HE WAS PLAYING IT AT HIS FESTIVAL IN VIRGINIA. I BROUGHT THE BANJO HOME AND IT HAS NEVER BEEN OUT OF MY HOUSE AGAIN. MAKE ME AN OFFER.
LONNIE DAVIS
LONNIEJOE@WINDSTREAM.NET

Saturday, May 17, 2008 8:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home