Saturday, April 28, 2007

On Forming a Band

In this age of Bluegrass popularity are there any hardcore Bluegrassers left?

I've been having conversations with various people, some of them not musicians, about the idea of forming a band. I'm certainly not considering such an endeavour at this time, but the conversation has come up. As a result of these conversations it has become clear to me that the desire to form a band does exist for some of the people I've conversed with.

My thinking may change down the road, but at this time in my life, if I was having thoughts about forming a band, I'd be looking for some hardcore Bluegrassers - people that want to play "real" bluegrass - not this watered down stuff that I hear so much of today. If I'm going to go around calling my band a Bluegrass band, that's what I'd want to portray. None of this borderline, is it Bluegrass or is it not? Is it pop with Bluegrass instrumentation? Country? What is that stuff anyway?

Is there anything wrong with these other genres of music that I've mentioned? No, not at all. It's just not what I currently want to be involved with, and I don't want to be in a band that plays half and half either. I'm into Bluegrass and that's what I'm going to focus on! If at some point in time down the musical road I run into some like minded people that I think I can get along with, I think I would consider forming a band.

There are so many things to think about when considering such an endeavour. Could you get along with everyone in the band? Would all of the members have the same goals as you? Would they be as committed as you? Would you be as committed as the rest of the band? Will there be a band leader? Who will it be? Could the rest of the band take direction from someone else? What about work schedules and personal schedule conflicts? Personality conflicts? Travelling? Practice time? It's a never ending list.

In thinking about forming a band, I've come to the conclusion that it would be nearly impossible to satisfy all of the concerns I've mentioned above, but my biggest apprehension is that concerning the committment to get better. Are you and the rest of the band members going to do what it takes to become a band that actually sounds Bluegrassy? Are you going to take the necessary time to learn the licks, intros and breaks that will set you apart, or will you be happy with a hum-drum sound?

Fortunately, forming a band is not something I have to be concerned with anytime soon, or ever I suppose. For now I'll just be content with playing along to my CD's and getting together with some friends at private jams, which is what I enjoy the most - and there's no pressure at all to get better. Playing well enough to be in a band is not something I ever expect to achieve, but I'm going to keep working at playing the best I can regardless of how good or bad that may be.

I'm not an optimist as you might be able to tell, but I'm not a pessimist either, although I know many who would disagree. I like to call myself a realist. I have concern for fact or reality and rejection of the impractical and visionary.

Keep on pickin' everybody.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Mike Well forming a Bluegrass Band has always intrested me.However,it takes more than wanting to have a band .It takes a lot of dedication.Not everyone wants to settle for something that has allready been done(traditional Bluegrass)There are musicians out there who would like to see a progressive approach to playing Bluegrass music in a New and more audiance appeal format.I love traditional Bluegrass music,but I think that the Fathers of Bluegrass would want us to continue to expand on the Bluegrass Theme.New techneques and styles would impress even the most die hard traditionalist in Bluegrass music.Lets all work together to keep the audience(new and old)intrested in this style of music.There is lots of room for the old and the new.I know this will not sit too well with some people,but thats the way I feel..I love Bluegrass Music and I want to see it around in the future.To have it around we are going to have to accept changes. Fungus

Saturday, April 28, 2007 6:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home