Sunday, April 15, 2007

Who Would You Like to See in a Live Performance?

Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys - that's who I'd like to see.

I get the feeling there are a lot of people that think Ralph Stanley couldn't sing his way out of a wet paper bag - I don't know why, that's just the impression I get. If that's the impression you have, you need to listen a little closer.

Ralph Stanley was born in Stratton, VA, in 1927. He is a living legend in Bluegrass and old time mountain music. I never paid Ralph all that much attention myself until recently, but I find the more I listen to him and learn about him, the more I appreciate him and his band members.

The sound of Ralph Stanley is unique. He has the sound of centuries past, with incredibly soulful undertones. His high lonesome sound makes you feel like you're in the Appalachian Mountains, standing right beside him. Patty Loveless describes Ralph Stanley as the "King of Mountain Soul."

I was looking at his tour schedule to see how close to this part of the world he might be travelling. The closest place I could find was at a place called the Stone Mountain Arts Center in a rural town called Brownfield, in the state of Maine. Brownfield is a little more than an hour past Portland, Maine. Curious as I was, I typed "Stone Mountain Arts Center" into the Google search engine and sure enough, I hit pay dirt.

Once at the Stone Mountain Arts Center web site, I was intrigued; so much so that I read much about its history, background and owners. From the Stone Mountain Arts Center web site:

Nestled in the foothills of the White Mountains, the Stone Mountain Arts Center is a beautiful timber frame barn hosting national acts up close and personal in an equally beautiful setting.

This unique space is located just over the border from NH in Brownfield, Maine. Drive up a country road, with the mountains as your guide. When you reach the top there with it’s red clapboards, this special performance space towers over Noonan’s 200 year old farmhouse providing you with a dramatic audience experience you will not soon forget.

The timber frame barn is what really caught my attention. The more I read, the more I couldn't stop.

It just happens that Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys are doing a concert at this 200 seat location on Sunday, July 8, 2007. This may very well be the road trip of the year for me. If you think there is a possibility that you too might like to go this event, I wouldn't hold off reserving tickets.

There's a host of other well known names appearing at this venue as well. The Grascals, Kathy Mattea, Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives, Crooked Still, Suzy Bogguss and Béla Fleck and the Flecktones to mention a few. Visit the Stone Mountain Arts Center web site to view their complete calendar of events.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Mike sounds intresting.I guess youve put a bit of thaught into this.Who knows.Maybe this is the answere to all our prayers.Something that is more personal.It might be nice to be a bit choosy on what groups or people we want to see and hear this summer Keep us informed Fungus

Monday, April 16, 2007 3:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm getting to the point that I could go to a Ralph Stanley concert, but i have to admit that I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see and hear Patty Loveless beside him, singing about Pretty Polly. She's AMAZING. I would also like to see AKUS in a venue like the Imperial Theatre in Saint John - the place and group would be the ultimate combination, in my humble opinion.

I'm really looking forward to going to the Ricky Skaggs concert in May, although I'm particularly interested in meeting the banjo player, Jimmie. He's the favourite of a guy that I really like, and I want to be there to see the look on his face when he meets Jimmie. I wouldn't want to miss that for anything.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this mean we're going to see Ralph Stanley? Is Patty going to be there?

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home