Sunday, April 22, 2007

MusicMoose.org

I just stumbled on a great free music lessons resource that I thought I would share with you. It's a web site called MusicMoose.org. There are several free video lessons for banjo, guitar, mandolin and fiddle, as well as lessons for harmonica and saxophone. I noticed there was a placeholder for Dobro lessons as well, but there are no Dobro lessons yet.

I sampled several lessons and found both the material and quality to be very good. There are beginner, intermediate and advanced lessons. There's also a discussion forum related to the site where you can ask the instructors questions. This site is a great resource. You'll need Apple's QuickTime movie viewer to watch the lessons. You also need to register for a free account.

To gain access to the lessons, click the Lessons link just under the logo near the top of the page. You'll notice there are several ways to have the the lessons displayed on your screen - the default is to show all lessons with the most recent lesson at the top. While actually searching for lessons I found this to be very confusing because you'll be jumping all over the place with no rhyme nor reason. To make it easier, I might suggest you choose the instrument category you are interested in, then choose Date created asc in the dropdown listbox. This will order the lessons the way they were originally created, earliest to latest date. If you are following a series of lessons, displaying the lessons in this manner will let you go from one lesson to the next in the order they were intended to be watched.

While sampling the site, the first lesson I checked out was about using a capo on guitar. I then watched several banjo lessons and several mandolin lessons. I was impressed with the content. Admittedly, I spent most of my time on the banjo and mandolin lessons which I found to be very good.

If you are a musician or someone just thinking about learning how to play an instrument, check this site out.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Mike It took some doing but I was finaly able to hook up to the Music Moose site.Its a pretty intresting site.There are a lot of good ideas and lots of good tunes that can be learned.They go as deep into things as you want to go.I like the site and Im sure Ill get a lot out of it.I believe that there is something on this site for everyone.Try it you may be surprised by what you get out of it.Thanks for pointing it out to me Fungus

Friday, April 27, 2007 1:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home