Friday, March 02, 2007

Bluegrass Happenings

New Banjo
I had another conversation with Sam Calveard at Huber banjos about a week ago. He tells me a neck, resonator and rim have been matched up for my Huber Jim Mills signature series banjo. It is supposed to go to the finish shop within a week (that sounds familiar, doesn’t it? - it's basically what I was told a month ago) and will be there for 28 days. I’m expecting delivery of my new banjo approximately six weeks from now.

Jim Mills
In the meantime, I’ve conversed with Jim Mills via e-mail about meeting him at the upcoming Ricky Skaggs concert in Moncton, NB on May 19, 2007. For those of you that don’t know, Jim Mills is the banjo player in Ricky Skaggs’ hot Bluegrass band, Kentucky Thunder. I’m looking forward to meeting Mr. Mills in person and he says likewise. Just from reading about Jim, e-mailing him and seeing him on some DVDs, especially his instructional DVD from Acutab Publications which is titled Jim Mills - A Winning Banjo Style, I feel like I’ve known him for a long time.

For anyone interested, the May 19 Ricky Skaggs concert is sold out but there are still some tickets available for the second show on Sunday, May 20, 2007. If you want tickets, please contact me - I've still got a few for sale.

Fund Raiser Concert
I’m playing in a fund raiser event at Harbour View High School for the HVHS Alumni tomorrow night at 7:00 PM. A few of my fellow Bluegrass Friends (Angela Curran, Tom Mason, Murray Sheils, Matthew Hayes, Larry Walsh and Clay Johnson) are performing an 8 to 10 song Bluegrass set. Actually, one of the songs is going to be Travelling Soldier by the Dixie Chicks, but other than that it's all Bluegrass.

Honestly, I don’t know why I let myself get roped into these things. You want to help people out and be cooperative, yet, at the same time you know you’re in over your head. It’s a dilemma for sure. Do you get up in front of a 400 plus crowd and make a fool of yourself again? or just say no? I feel I have no business playing in this event, yet, here I am in the middle of it. All I can hope for is that I don’t mess up all night long, which is exactly what I do whenever I play in front of people - it’s what I do. It really comes down to lack of experience and ability.

And speaking of lacking experience and ability, I need to get practicing right now! Until next time, you all take care.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger fungus said...

Hi Mike first you have to stop being so hard on yourself.You work hard at your music and should be proud.As far as saying no to some events,thats your business.But dont feel bad when you say no.Stick to your decision .You have that right.Now being a bit uncertain when playing for an audience,well take it from me,everyone at times get the jitters.What I usualy do is pretend that there is no audience,only friends that you are jamming with.So what if you make a mistake?No one is perfect.Just try to enjoy the music that you are doing.If you dont enjoy the music,then you will gooff up.When I loose that love for music,I will get out of playing.Hopefuly that will never happen.Mike be proud of what you do,and enjoy the music to the hilt.I know others enjoy hearing what you are playing,so you enjoy it too Fungus

Sunday, April 01, 2007 8:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home