Friday, January 05, 2007

Getting Anxious

I just got off the telephone with Sam Calveard from the Huber Banjos and Accessories company. We had a good chat about all things banjo; tone rings, bridges, string brands, setup and all that kind of stuff. We even talked about the weather.

You may recall from an earlier post, that I ordered a Huber Lexington model banjo on July 5, 2006. The Lexington sure has a nice "crack" to it, but I had second thoughts about an all maple banjo when I thought about the kinds of tunes I would likely be playing. After a couple months of self torment I modified my order to a Jim Mills signature series mahogany model.

I'm told my new Mills model banjo will be going into the finishing department any day now. That means at best, I'm still looking at mid to late February to take delivery on this banjo. I'm not so excited that I'm losing sleep (at least not because of the banjo), but I am getting pretty anxious to try this new banjo. I sure hope it's everything I'm expecting, and more.

I think I should consider taking the new banjo to the Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder concert (in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada - May 19, 2007) and ask Jimmy to play a tune (or two or three or four) on it. What do you think? I've heard from several people that Jim Mills is one of the friendliest, most down to earth guys you'd ever want to meet. I guess that must be why everyone calls him "smilin' Jim."

If you haven't guessed already, I'm a huge fan of Jim Mills. Although there are many great Bluegrass banjo players out there, I'd have to say Jim Mills has influenced me the most in my quest to conquer the 5-string banjo. I don't know if I'll ever reach my goal, but I'll keep trying - at least for a while longer.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home