Saturday, August 12, 2006

Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder - Instrumentals

Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder have just released a new CD called Instrumentals. It features 11 tunes, all written by Ricky Skaggs.

The tunes range from traditional Irish tones to jazz and classical, to bluegrass. By and large, the CD is dominated with an Irish sound. One of the tunes, Crossing the Briney, is 7 minutes long - a tad too much for my liking.

I'm finding it very difficult to get into this CD. While the musicianship on all of the tracks is outstanding, as is always the case with anything Ricky does, there's just a bit too much of the Irish sound for me. If you are a fan of Irish music however, you'll love this CD.

By themselves, I don't mind any of the tunes; in fact, some of them are kind of neat - I just can't listen to the whole CD at once. There are a few tunes that are on the bluegrassy side of things, so that makes me happy. I have a feeling this is one of those CDs I'm going to learn to appreciate more and more as I continue to listen to it. My favourite tune on the CD is one called Missing Vassar.

If you're looking for an all-bluegrass CD, this isn't it, but the CD certainly lives up to its name - Instrumentals!

At the time of this writing, CMT.com has a link where you can listen to full-length high quality tracks of each tune.

For a limited time, you can order Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder Instrumentals for only $11.99 with free shipping to the USA and Canada at SkaggsFamilyRecords.com. Now that's a deal!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home