Friday, July 21, 2006

Huber Banjo on the Way

I did it! Within an hour after getting home from the Cherryholmes concert on Grand Manan Island (July 4, 2006) , I was on the telephone talking to Steve Huber.

You see, I've had my ears tuned to Huber banjos for some time now, and I was waiting for an opportunity to be able to have one in my own hands and hear one in person. That opportunity was realized when Cia Leigh Cherryholmes let me try her Huber Lexington model banjo. I was blown away with the tone from the Huber and made my mind up to order one, and all of this with my wife's blessings. Not only did she tell me to order the Huber, she's telling me I should keep my Deering Deluxe as well. She must think we're made of money!

I've made a 50% downpayment to Huber banjos and now I'm in the Huber queue. Now the hard part comes - I have to wait at least 7 months before I'll see the banjo, as there is a long list of people ahead of me. But that's not the hardest part. The hardest part is deciding which model banjo I really want.

Because of the long list of people ahead of me, I have at least 2 months to decide on the final configuration of the banjo. I ordered a Lexington model Huber with a maple neck, Keith D-tuners and a speed neck. Now I'm wondering if I should change the options. Maybe I should go for the mahogany neck for that added warmth in tone. Do I really need the fancy engraving and gold plating that comes standard on the Lexington model? I could save a lot of money without it. V-neck or standard profile neck? Standard 1 3/16" nut or a 1 1/4" nut like I'm used to? Speed neck or finished neck? There are too many options. To make things worse, Huber already has a Jim Mills signature series and a Ron Block signature model is only days from being announced. Both Jim Mills and Ron Block are two of my banjo heroes. What am I supposed to do?

In the end, the number one priority is the tone of the banjo. But, if I'm already spending a large chunk of change should I just go for it? Add the fancy options and get the banjo of my dreams? What if I get it and a year or two down the road it's not my dream banjo any more?

When I bought my Deering Deluxe banjo, I thought it was going to be the only banjo I would ever want. And, to be sure, make no mistake about it - it is one fine banjo. It's very playable, the workmanship in it is some of the best I've ever seen and it's got a good sound, especially since I've changed the head on it.

Hello, my name is Michael, and I'm a banjoholic! My wife says "you need help!"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Mike. Its nice to treat ourselves once and a while. As you know I have been thinking of upgrading my mandolin for a while. I have been looking around and trying a number of models but I have had my heart set on a ELMO mandolin for some time. Alex B is planning on selling his as soon as he gets his new one. I have played his a number of times and I don't know what it is but I just like the tone and feel of that instrument. I know I can get a new one but I am afraid if I just have been impressed with his current one. We have made arrangements for a sale. Now I just have to WAIT!. One more point, I makes it much better when you have an understanding wife behind your passion.

Friday, July 21, 2006 2:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home