Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Drop C Tuning on the Banjo

I love the sound of a 5-string banjo in drop C tuning, also known as standard tuning. The most common tuning today, particularly in bluegrass music, is the open G tuning; however, in earlier times, drop C tuning was commonly used instead. Perhaps this is how drop C tuning became known as standard tuning.

In drop C tuning, the strings are tuned gCGBD as opposed to gDGBD found in open G tuning. The 4th string tuned to a low "C" note instead of a "D" note adds a real warmth to the sound of the banjo, and there's just something about that low C note that catches my ear.

Home Sweet Home was the first tune I ever heard in drop C tuning and it really got my attention. Soon after, I heard Soldier's Joy, Dig a Hole in the Meadow and Pearl Pearl Pearl - all in drop C tuning.

I've been practising Home Sweet Home and Soldier's Joy for the last couple of days. With any luck at all, I'll be able to play them at a Bluegrass Friends jam session soon. Until then, I'll keep plunking away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home