Friday, June 09, 2006

The Good Things In Life

Last Sunday, two friends and I visited at another friend’s home to learn and play some music. The whole experience was terrific. Two things I really enjoy about these small get-togethers is the cozy atmosphere they foster and the closeness you feel as friendships are strengthened.

We played a few good old standard bluegrass tunes along with a healthy measure of gospel tunes, which have always been a favourite of mine. As the day went on, I began to feel more and more at ease with myself and the friends I was with. I was thinking it’s just the four of us, and I don’t have to be perfect, so just before supper I did something I normally wouldn’t do - I decided to sing along with What Would You Give In Exchange For Your Soul? I’m not a great singer by any stretch of the imagination, but I had a lot of fun.

We were called for supper. We joined hands around the supper table as we thanked God for the food we were about to receive, and for the companionship we were enjoying. I could feel the closeness of our relationships building. Yes, this time we were spending together was definitely to be considered one of the good things in life.

After a delicious meal, we had another 45 minutes or so to play before we had to leave, as I had another commitment at 7:00 PM. We tried What Would You Give In Exchange For Your Soul? a few more times, and a couple other gospel tunes.

The next Bluegrass Friends jam session was the next day, and I was asked if I would sing along with the song we had practised quite a bit the day before. I was a little hesitant to do so in front of such a large group of people, but I was reassured I wouldn’t be making a fool of myself and I didn’t want to let my friends down, so I agreed to sing. Regardless of how it turned out, it was a good experience, and I’m glad I did it, I think.

This was a great learning experience for me, and I can only hope it was as much fun for the others as it was for me. I feel I'm making a good investment in the friendships of those involved. Indeed, it was time well spent!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, being one of those invited to that "cozy jam", I have to agree with you. It's a time to build friendships and to share a love of bluegrass and to practice those songs that we hold dear with others. No one makes a fool of themselves, only the fools that don't try. ;0)
Here's a quote:
"If you have great ambition, take a big step as possible in the direction of fulfilling it, but if the step is only a tiny one, don't worry if it is the largest one now possible."

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home