Saturday, May 20, 2006

Mountain Heart - Wide Open

I've heard some pretty good bluegrass material from Mountain Heart in the past, but I'm quite disappointed with their latest release entitled "Wide Open." I guess it's just my narrow mindedness showing through when it comes to what I think constitutes bluegrass music.

The latest Mountain Heart CD is on the the Skaggs Family Records label, and on the Skaggs Family Records web site, it states "Better prepare yourself -- this ain't your grandpa's bluegrass -- this time out, Mountain Heart is running Wide Open." Well, I'll have to agree with that statement! In my opinion, this album is about as far away from bluegrass as you can get. Almost all of the tracks sound like they belong on an "easy listening" radio station.

Now don't get me wrong, the members af Mountain Heart are fine musicians and singers, but this album is far from bluegrass - so don't call it bluegrass! Don't take my word though, mosey on over to the Skaggs Family Records web site and give the CD a listen for yourself. Your non-bluegrass side may love it.

Note At the time of this writing, CMT had full length high quality audio samples of this CD, so you may want to check CMT as the audio quality is much better. If you decide to purchase, it's hard to beat the prices at Skaggs Family Records.

Note John Lawless interviews Mountain Heart on GrassCast episode #15 and talks about the "pop" feel of the CD. Check it out and listen to what the group has to say about the album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home