Sunday, January 13, 2008

Not Much Banjo Playing Going On Around Here

The title of this post says it all - I haven't played either of my banjos for 3 ½ weeks, but it's not because mama don't allow no banjo pickin' 'round here! Truth be told, I'm almost afraid to start up again because I don't want to find out what I've forgotten. I'm not quite sure how the lapse happened in the first place, but it did. Worst of all, I just can't seem to get in the mood to start.
As of late, I have been spending a lot of time evaluating Adobe Audition®, a multi-track recording, mixing, editing, and mastering software program for professional audio production. After installing the software and starting it up for the first time, I was absolutely overwhelmed with the interface. I didn't know where to begin, so I began reading every single page of the help file, beginning at page 1. As I make my way through the help file, I'm trying most of the features out so as not to forget all of the things I have learned. I must say, this is one full-featured piece of software for audio production.
I have a few days left before my evaluation copy of Adobe Audition runs out, but those of you that know me will realize I won't stop at the evaluation process. I already ordered and received two professional broadcast quality sound cards for my computer which will give me a total of 8 balanced inputs and 8 balanced outputs; that's as technical as I'll get. Suffice it to say I intend on producing some low-noise recordings.
My intent is not to become the next recording studio in Saint John, at least not right now. Instead, I'm simply adding another page in the book of music fun with my musical friends.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hay Mike..I know that you have been over whelmed by this new recording system that you are evaluating.For you to no have played the banjo for 3 weeks,something must have caught your attention.Ive been to your home and you have showed me some of the things that this system can do.I am very impressed. However my friend,I do hope that you get back in the mood to practice your banjo.We miss the good work you do at the jams we go to.You did an excelent job on the New Love U-Tube production that we did.I believe you can have both worlds. You are a fortunate person because you understand the ins and outs of music production and also music recording.I hope to be able to use this knowledge from you in the future. Who knows..you may produce your first CD banjo project featuring yourself.Wouldnt that be nice... Keep up the good work my friend and PLEASE dont neg;ect the instrument that you love The Banjo...Your friend Fungusin

Monday, January 14, 2008 2:10:00 PM  
Blogger Jack Holland said...

The machine looks complex but I'm sure the more you use it the easier it will become. I had a difficult time with my tascam 4 track.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mike , as "Fungus" said , don't give up playin' the banjo. This "recording" software is ok to fool around with but the real music comes from playing and having fun with your Bluegrass Music friends and we certainly miss your playing at our jams.I have a Boss BR-600 digital recorder (for approx.6 months now), don't know much about how to operate it but I'll never know if it means "giving up" playing the Dobro. So , why not get back to "pickin' on that banjo of yours" and coming out to the jams and enjoy the music. I//we are lookin' forward to seeing and hearing you play at the next p-jam!! Your friend ........ NewfieBro

Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:48:00 AM  
Blogger Michael Floyd said...

I tried to play my banjo last night after a 4 week layoff. Oh boy!

I've heard of getting rusty, but this is ridiculous! I'm going to need a heavy wire brush to remove the rust I've accumulated - it's more than light surface rust. I feel like I'm starting almost from day one. You may not see me at a jam for awhile.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hay Mike more reason to get back to playing.Its a shame to have a great banjo and not be using it.I hope that this new recording equipment will only make you want to practice and play the banjo more.Im sure you can manage both worlds.Goos luck and get back to playing Your friend Fungus

Saturday, January 19, 2008 9:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home