Sunday, November 04, 2007

Why Do You Like Bluegrass Music?

If I were to ask you why you like Bluegrass music, what would you tell me? If I asked what it was that first got your attention about the Bluegrass style of music, what would you say to that? Have you ever pondered the reasons?

Like so many Bluegrassers before me, I got all fired-up when I heard the "fancy banjo" sounds of Earl Scruggs. Do you have any idea how many people claim the exact same reason for being steered toward this great music we call Bluegrass? Despite all of the rude banjo jokes, it would appear to me the banjo is one of the main driving forces behind the popularity of Bluegrass music. Many people that have been lead to Bluegrass by way of a steady stream of banjo notes don't actually play a banjo, nor do they have a desire to play one - they just like the sound of a Bluegrass banjo and there's certainly nothing wrong with that!

Among many, did you know Del McCoury of the Del McCoury Band, Tim Stafford of Blue Highway and Dan Tyminski of Alison Krauss & Union Station all started out playing banjo? Del said he couldn't get up to Earl's caliber so he quit after 10 years of playing. Both Dan and Tim moved over when a more skilled banjo player came along in each of their first bands respectively. My point here is simply that the banjo seems to have drawn many to Bluegrass music and in my opinion, continues to do so.

Of course the banjo isn't the only reason people like Bluegrass music, and even though it lead me to the music, it certainly isn't the only reason I continue to like it. Moving to Bluegrass was an easy transition for me as I had been exposed to country music at a very early age; my father was always listening to Hank Snow, Johnny Cash and other pioneers of early country music. I figure this transition would be easier to make than coming from rock and roll, which is what the rest of the kids my age were listeng to. Like Barbara Mandrell, "I was country when country wasn't cool." To this day my father doesn't care for the banjo or Bluegrass. I don't know what's up with that!

I like all of the other instruments used in Bluegrass music equally well - fiddle, mandolin, guitar, resophonic guitar and upright bass. All of the instruments play important roles, although they are not all used in all bands. Whereas most people tend to start out playing guitar, I chose the 5-string banjo as my first instrument simply because the sound of a Bluegrass banjo speaks to me in a special way.

Did you know Jerry Douglas, one of the best and most well known Dobro players of all time, started his musical career playing mandolin and singing until he discovered Dobro guitar? He said "after I heard the sound of a Dobro, I just didn't care if I ever sang again" and went on to say "the Dobro became a musical conduit to express my feelings."

I can't talk about the reasons I love Bluegrass music without mentioning harmony vocals. Good harmonies can make the hair on the back of your neck stand up on end and I just can't get enough of it when it's done well. In particular, I like the high lonesome sound of Bluegrass music, especially with great harmonies added.

Aside from the music itself, comprising of instruments and vocals, there's something else special about Bluegrass music and that would be the Bluegrass community. A main stage for Bluegrass music is the outdoor Bluegrass festival. Through the festivals, a close-knit community has been formed between festival goers and musicians alike. How many other types of music concerts can you go to where you can talk to the stars after the show? When you go to a festival you'll meet hundreds of people that you can jam with if you're a musician and there's a good chance you might even jam with the best of the best like Rhonda Vincent or Ricky Skaggs. It's just the way the Bluegrass community works.

I've heard some people refer to Bluegrass as "show-off music," especially when they see somebody do a solo at breakneck speed. You can call it what you want, I love the sounds of those solos and the talent that goes with it. I have also heard Bluegrass described as "hillbilly" music with the word "hillbilly" used in a derogatory way. When people call me a hillbilly, I simply acknowledge it and say "proud of it." So, it ranges from hillbilly to show-off; that's quite a span.

I say what's not to like about Bluegrass music? How did you get drawn in?

Feel free to leave a comment.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike a few years ago Harvey Arbo talked me into going to Thomas Point on the Labour Day week end and things have not been the same since.I fell inLove with the Sound and was amazed at how the musicians could play so well.It was there and then that I decided that Bluegrass Music was the Music I wanted to concentrate on.I have never looked back.I LOVE EVERYTHING about Bluegrass.The music,friendship and the all round GOOD PEOPLE that you meet at the festivals..Call me what you want to call me I LOVE BLUERGRASS Fungus

Thursday, November 08, 2007 4:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home