Sunday, November 25, 2007

Rhonda Vincent - Good Thing Going

The fan appointed queen of Bluegrass has a good thing going with her latest release titled Good Thing Going.

Rhonda Vincent's latest release, which isn't due out until January 8, 2008 is a mix of hard drivin' Bluegrass, country and swing material. The project was recorded in Rhonda's brand new home studio. Both the material and the tonal quality of this project give a slight contemporary feel to all of the selections.

The 12 tracks are comprised of 7 Bluegrass selections, 4 country songs and 1 swing tune. Those of us with an appetite for hard drivin' 'grass will be satisfied with at least 6 of the 7 Bluegrass selections including the first cut which is titled I'm Leavin'. The seventh Bluegrass selection, Scorn Of A Lover, is a slower number in 3/4 time.

World's Biggest Fool is a decidedly swing tune. The title track, Good Thing Going immediately caught my attention with its banjo intro; the vocal style seems to be a mix of country and Bluegrass; parts of it remind me of Loretta Lynn's You Ain't Woman Enough (To Take My Man). The last cut on the CD, Bluegrass Saturday Night is a fan appreciation song. A hard diving rendition of the Jimmy Martin classic Lover's Hit Parade is also included on the project. I Gotta Start Somewhere is a beautiful song but it's definitely not Bluegrass. Complete with drums, this country song sounds like something right out of the Brad Paisley catalog.

I'm definitely pleased with this CD. I could take or leave the swing tune and 3 of the 4 country tunes included, but I know after repeated listening, even these will grow on me. Still, this project is sure to please almost any Bluegrass fan and no female artist delivers Bluegrass better than the Queen of Bluegrass, Rhonda Vincent. In fact, I think it's safe to say that nobody, male or female, does a better job at delivering the Bluegrass message than Rhonda Vincent.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home