Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bluegrass Unashamed Magazine - July & August 2009 Issues

We've all heard of the official magazine called Bluegrass Unlimited, yes?

I recently attended a Bluegrass Buddys (yes, that's how they spell Buddys) performance at Unity Park in the town of Grand Bay-Westfiled, New Brunswick and I had my camera with me. I convinced my friend Silas Cheeseman, the one who stole me away from Bluegrass music since about December 2008, according to some, to tag along with me. Yes, I've made photography my second hobby and there is now a battle for my time between Bluegrass and photography. Well, at least I'm combining the two hobbies by photographing Bluegrass events! You can see some of Silas' work here, here and here.

While I was at the performance, Harvey Arbo made a joke about how I was the official photographer for a magazine called Bluegrass Unashamed. I figured Bluegrass Unashamed must be a spoof on the Bluegrass Unlimited magazine and decided to grow the seed Harvey planted. What I came up with was the July 2009 cover for this fictitious magazine featuring none other than Harvey Arbo.

I never really thought much about continuing the joke, until just a couple days ago when I was looking at some photos from a Bluegrass weekend getaway that took place last year at our friends' cottage. I happened upon a photo of Kenny Innis and thought it would be the ideal photo for the next issue of Bluegrass Unashamed. Consequently, I created the August 2009 cover for the magazine.

In all honesty, I was going to trash the photo way back when, but I seem to have a hard time deleting stuff like that. The August 2009 cover photo of the Bluegrass Unashmaed magazine illustrates how you just never know when an otherwise not so great image may be useful; I guess the value of some photos is all about the context in which it is used.

Now, my mind is spinning with ideas for future covers of the fictitious magazine and I've already got an idea for the September issue which I think you'll find quite amusing, but I'm not giving any clues as to what that image might be.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the lighter side of Bluegrass in the form of poking some fun at some of my friends.

Click on the images to see larger versions of the same.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hay Mike Glad to see that you are having fun with the camera..I still wish you would concentrate on the banjo instead.However having said that,I guess you can have two hobbies.But please dont forget about the banjo...
Now getting to this FUN magazine that you seem to have taken a great love for...Remember..what goes around comes around...By this I mean...If we come up with an idea on how to maybe poke a little your way,then I hope you will cooperate...As far as using me as a subject,I dont mind at all.I will get my turn to get you in the future ha ha .So remember what Im telling you.When I or we come to you with something we want to post about you I hope you will cooperate...
Have a good day my friend your time is coming he he
Ken

Monday, August 31, 2009 4:39:00 PM  
Blogger Michael Floyd said...

Do you mean I'm going to get more poking than I aready get? Bring it on brother!

Monday, August 31, 2009 5:37:00 PM  
Blogger Wörner said...

Hello, I am a german Bluegrasser and Banjopicker. Please view my Blog.
Nice Picture from concert and my Banjo

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home